Monday, June 13, 2011

Blissfully Perfect Vegan Macaroons

I like to look at lots of recipes. I have several cookbooks, but mostly I look online at the endless array of ideas. I sop them up like a biscuit with gravy. But I hardly ever write them down or use them, as written.

Cravings for collards and almond paste lately- perhaps a calcium craving? Both were purchased today, and collards were in dinner- so the search for Macaroon recipes was up next.

The traditional recipe is made with egg whites. I knew, of course, this was completely unnecessary--eggs always are--so I searched for vegan recipes. One called for ENER G-egg replacer, and another called for lots of coconut milk, non-dairy milk which had to be reduced over heat before baked...

My age-old question yet again was risen--Why do so many recipes go into such complexity when simplicity will not just "do"--but be much better.

Here is my just invented Macaroon Recipe:

I call it "Blissfully Perfect Macaroons"




2 cups almond milk
2 tbsp almond paste
21/2-3 cups shredded coconut (I used organic unsweetened)
2 tbs maple syrup
1 tbsp Ginger Jam (optional)


Preheat oven to 300 F
Large Mixing Bowl: milk, ginger jam, almond paste, maple syrup- mash with utensil until homogenized
Add coconut, mix together- add more if necessary until a nice consistency, much like oatmeal is reached.

Place in small mounds on baking sheet, greased if you prefer not too work just a little harder to get them off.
Bake for 12-15 minutes or so, until just golden brown on edges.


The Ginger jam gave the macaroons a special surprise kick- without it I am sure they would still have been delightful- Almond paste is your best friend.

Once you have tried these you will never buy another creepy egg-macaroon again. You will devour these--guilt free and go out to the store to buy more ingredients before it closes. You will be happier and more generous. You will never feel depressed again.

I have to go now and be alone with my still remaining Macaroons.






No comments:

Post a Comment