Sunday, January 30, 2011

Vegan "CheeseSteak" !!

As we all know, Cheesesteaks are superdelicious. I mean, there's nothing like them.
And as we all know, the cholesterol and saturated fat are good enough reasons to avoid them.
In this recipe, I take a standard bean flour/nutritional yeast sauce to imitate that cheesy flavor and texture that makes Cheesesteaks such a "feel-good" favorite...at least while it's going in!



So, I start with a small sauce pan. Water works well, but any non-dairy milk will add a more complex and deep flavor and texture.

If cooking just for two, only a small amount of liquid is necessary- about 2/3 cup to start. I aim to put no more water than sauce I want to end up with at the end.

I immediately add all the spices I want. I put dashes of salt, chili powder, cumin, sometimes old bay. And lots of fresh ground pepper. Always. If I have herbs, yes they go in. How much? Not too much!


When boiling, I add 1/8 cup of nutritional yeast, and 1/8 cup of bean flour- usually by filling my 1/4 cup measure half each. Whisk immediately. Let it cook a few minutes, this is key for great "creamy" texture.



With the heat on low- just to keep it warm, no longer to cook anything-- I add all the veggies I have in the house- This meal it looks like I had mushrooms, spinach, garbanzo beans, red cabbage. I bet there are some sunflower seeds in there as well. 
My motto is the more variety the merrier.


And once its warm throughout, I'm done.


Sometimes, when you cook it took long, you lose "Creaminess" as water is cooked out. So add a little more water or non-dairy milk until desired consistency is reached!



Absolutely Smashing! Add Hot Sauce for Long Active Life!


Perfect in a wrap too!

Enjoy. Eat Weekly!

No comments:

Post a Comment